Welcome to the World Endeavors resource page for alumni! Whether you are just returning from a program or participated several years ago, we are excited to have you as a member of our global community. We hope your experience abroad was life-changing, eye-opening, challenging, exciting, and rewarding. This page contains information about returning home after your program as well as ways to share your experience once you are back.
Simply put, re-entry shock is a period of stress and disorientation that occasionally occurs when returning home after spending time abroad. Most people are familiar with the concept of culture shock – the feeling of stress and internal conflict when arriving in a new culture. But many travelers don’t give much thought to the fact that, oftentimes, along with culture shock comes reverse culture shock, or re-entry shock. For some, this feeling of disorientation can last for a long time, while others are able to overcome it within a few weeks.
Some simple strategies can help to mitigate the impact of re-entry shock. We always encourage returnees to share highlights of their experience abroad with family and friends. Returnees who are enrolled as students often find participating in events at their university’s study abroad office can help them connect to other students who recently returned home. Creating a journal or scrapbook of your time abroad can also be a great way to process your experience.
A great way for World Endeavors alumni to stay involved is through our Campus Ambassador program. Campus Ambassadors share their experiences abroad with fellow students by speaking to classes, participating in study abroad office events, and identifying opportunities on their campus for World Endeavors. Being a Campus Ambassador is a great way to boost your resume while sharing your enthusiasm for your international experience!
As a Campus Ambassador, you might:
• Stage a social media campaign about going abroad with World Endeavors
• Share your WE experience at a table at your school’s study abroad fair
• Schedule a compelling presentation for your study abroad office about your experience with World Endeavors
• Host a Q&A during a study abroad office activity – with an online, real-time component a la Twitter – about how your international experience supported your studies, inspired self-confidence, and gave your resume a boost.
• A World Endeavors alumnus
• An international travel geek
• Creative, friendly, entrepreneurial
• In good academic standing at your university
• A currently enrolled student
• Strong communication (oral and written) and listening skills
• A desire to show others how meaningful international experiences can be
• A constant stream of ideas
• Time management skills
• Hands-on experience in marketing and communications
• To cultivate your international education knowledge
• To encourage your fellow students to be engaged world citizens
What you’ll get…
• After successful completion of your term, a letter of recommendation from World Endeavors (and a LinkedIn endorsement, if that’s your preference)
• A self-created portfolio of your documented efforts (with staff feedback)
• Professional work experience for your resume
• One-on-one mentoring with an international education professional
HOW TO APPLY
Download our Campus Ambassador Application, fill it out, and email it back to us at email@example.com with the subject line, “World Endeavors Campus Ambassador Application – YOUR NAME”
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or send a message to our Facebook Page.