The World Endeavors Study in Ecuador – Universidad Espiritu Santo program takes place just outside of Guayaquil, Ecuador. As one of Ecuador’s top rated universities, Universidad Espiritu Santo has something for everyone. Students can choose to take a variety of courses in either English or Spanish depending on the student’s Spanish proficiency. Students also have the opportunity to participate in a service learning internship where they work in local community organizations. This gives students a chance to learn more about the social needs of the city and contribute in a way that enhances their studies. Universidad Espiritu Santo’s modern campus is complete with a sports complex and pool, music and TV studios, and a student-run restaurant.
The program at Universidad Espiritu Santo is a great fit for students in a variety of disciplines who have a real interest in becoming part of the community, living with a local family, and learning about Ecuadorian culture. It is a great chance for students to begin or continue studying Spanish and to add an international perspective to their studies.
During their time at Universidad Espiritu Santos students will have a 6 day orientation tour visiting Quito, the Equatorial line, Andean communities, the famous Otavalo crafts market and Chimborazo National Park. During the semester weekend trips to other sites will be available and a weekly cultural seminar to debrief and hear guest lectures to deepen students’ knowledge and understanding of Ecuador.
Universidad Espiritu Santo’s location just outside Guayaquil presents an opportunity to study in the country’s largest and most modern city. Situated where the Guayas River meets the Pacific Ocean, Guayaquil is a major trading and financial center for Ecuador as well as a popular destination for both local and international tourists. Students stay with local families, which allows them to improve their Spanish skills and learn about Ecuadorian culture. Students living in Guayaquil can easily travel to the Galapagos Islands, hike in the Andes, or explore the rainforest.
"Every time I travel and see another area of this magnificent world that we live in, I carry with me an even greater sense of connectedness. We are all one people. We have different customs, beliefs and opinions but together that is what makes us great. We are not all separate lives, living in separate countries…we are all contributing and living in harmony with one another. We must all learn to work with each other and begin to see the beauty in all of us."
- Gaye, Volunteer in Ecuador
Academic credit and transcripts are issued by the Universidad Espiritu Santo after the successful completion of the program. Universidad Espiritu Santo is a state-recognized Ecuadorian institution of higher learning fully accredited by the only accrediting agency for higher education in Ecuador, CONESUP.
The World Endeavors process is designed to take the guesswork out of academic credit and credit transfers. Our experienced advisors work with each student and his or her academic advisor before the program begins to ensure students earn the credit expected for courses taken abroad.
Students applying to this program should have:
• A minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
• Fluency in English. No Spanish language proficiency is required.
Individual subjects and courses will be approved in accordance with each student’s previous studies and academic record.
TYPICAL COURSE LOAD
Students take up to 5 courses a semester to earn a total of 15 credits. These can be a combination of language courses, studies in English or Spanish, and Service Learning. Generally students take 2 Spanish courses and 3 other courses.
- Spanish Language – Six levels of Spanish language instruction are offered and students are placed based upon their demonstrated language level
- Studies in English – This enables students who have lower Spanish levels to complete courses for their degrees while also studying the language
- Studies in Spanish – For students with high Spanish proficiency, courses in Universidad Espiritu Santos’ many colleges are available. These include Medical Sciences, Liberal Arts, Economics and Business, Law and more.
- Service Learning – International students at Universidad Espiritu Santos can also request a placement for an internship or volunteer position. These can be for credit, but regardless must total about 120 hours during the semester. These placements are generally based upon a student’s language ability and area of study or skill set, but can be in a variety of fields.
Students stay with local Ecuadorian families during their time at Universidad Espiritu Santo. Living with a family gives students a chance to be immersed in the culture and local language as well as become part of the community. Students will have the opportunity to sample Ecuadorian cuisine as breakfast, lunch, and dinner are included. All accommodations are safe, clean, and comfortable.
SPRING SEMESTER: January 2nd – April 30th, 2018
– Application Deadline: November 1st, 2017
FALL SEMESTER: August 20th – December 17th, 2018
– Application Deadline: June 15th, 2018
Program dates listed are for reference only and are subject to change. Please wait until after acceptance and you have received the confirmed dates to book any flights.
|Study In Ecuador (Universidad Espiritu Santo)||$12,990|
- Dedicated Program Advisor who is accessible and experienced
- Tuition: up to 5 courses per semester
- Academic transcript from Universidad Espiritu Santo
- Pre and post arrival orientation; re-entry guidance
- Student services and learning support
- 24/7 emergency phone support
- Airport reception and welcome
- Host family accommodations with three meals included each day
- Comprehensive travel medical insurance
- Travel visa guidance and support
- Advice on how to get a local phone number
OTHER BUDGET CONSIDERATIONS
- Round-trip airfare to Guayaquil
- Visa expenses
- Optional trips and excursions
- Textbooks and other course materials
- Daily transportation
- Personal expenses
Congratulations on your decision to embark on a life-changing experience abroad! We look forward to working with you to make your trip memorable and meaningful.
For most applicants, the first step is to contact a World Endeavors advisor. Our advisors are available to answer questions and offer guidance along the way. With our help, you may be surprised at how easily your dream of going abroad can become a reality.
Enrollment in the World Endeavors program begins formally with an application. Due to visa requirements and other processes involved in coordinating international programs, participants are encouraged to submit their applications as far in advance as possible. We recommend that applications be submitted prior to the program application deadline. If your intended program's deadline has passed, contact World Endeavors for more information.